Here’s the deal, we have a ton of stuff that is expected of us each and every day. Some times it comes from our own internal ‘to-do’ lists and often it’s a mixture of responsibilities that come from work, family, and this thing we call life. As I was working through my own tedious tasks today I couldn’t help but notice that none of my important items had to do with me, my well-being, or pretty much anything that made me feel light inside. So I paused for a minute, jotted down a few things that I could (and would) do before my head hit the pillow tonight.
I list 21 items below but the idea is not to do them ALL today or maybe even all this week, but it’s a great start. I simply wanted to write them down so I could work through a little every day. It’s not an exhaustive list and I encourage you to add or adapt your own actions, but hopefully it will give you a nudge (if you need it) of inspiration to pause and pay special attention to your best resource, YOU!
Pick 1 or 2 or however many you think you can realistically do today and feel free to repeat the same list for tomorrow. I truly hope and believe that any one of these actions would improve your overall sense of well-being, feeling of peace, or even relief (even for a just a moment). I do offer a bit of explanation with a few of the items, but mostly that is for comical benefit. I tend to use humor as a primary coping mechanism (hence, all the smiley faces all the time)!
- Smile. 🙂 See…it’s already working!
- Forgive yourself for something (could be for getting frustrated easily or maybe it’s just easing up some of that negative talk within your own head…)
- Hug yourself (or someone else). If you need instructions on hugging yourself: take your left arm and place it on your right shoulder. Then take your right arm, place it on your left shoulder. Now squeeze. I know, sounds silly, but works every time!
- Trust yourself. If this seems too daunting, then start by asking yourself what it means to ‘trust yourself’.
- Write out a gratitude note.
- Replace a complaint with a positive statement. Note: the more you practice this one, the more you notice those around you who could use the practice!
- Slow down (yes, this is vague…it is supposed to be as only you know what that means for yourself. Take it as literal as you like 🙂
- Hold the door open for the person behind you or perform any other random act of kindness.
- Say good morning (to everyone)!
- Tell someone you love them (this could be yourself as well….if you choose self, I recommend saying it in front of a mirror. It has more impact when you see yourself saying it).
- Choose to be happy today (the whole day).
- Sit quietly for 5 minutes. No talking, just listening. Can be done with eyes open or closed, your choice.
- Embrace change. Again, figure out what that means for you to ’embrace change’.
- Let go of something that no longer serves you.
- State a dream of yours out loud (doesn’t matter if anyone else hears it).
- Write out a definition of ‘love’ without using a dictionary. Describe what it feels like, looks like, and how you know it exists.
- Practice patience.
- Stretch your body (arms, legs, whatever makes sense for you).
- Listen to your body (instead of a clock) to tell you when you are hungry and tired.
- Take 5 deep breaths.
- Smile. Listed twice because it’s just that awesome!
Will these things change your life? Probably not. Will they lighten your heart? I surely hope so. Be intentional today and move yourself and your well-being to the number one item on any of your ‘to-do’ lists!